A Mission

Enough! For all the things that make our country great, there are some terrible truths that we must face... and soon. The -isms continue to weaken us. And something which should be our greatest source of pain and grief isn't even an -ism at all. It is child abuse.

Ten years ago my life changed when my own child clawed his way into this world. I know first-hand that parenting isn't easy. I also know first-hand that our children are truly voiceless, and until someone speaks up our nation will continue to accept child abuse as a sad consequence of stressed out, addicted, undereducated, or young parents. Throughout 2010 I will be tracking the child abuse stories across the country in this blog. Stand up! Become irate! Be silent no more!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Abuse in Indiana

I am having a hard time keeping up with all the stories across the country, but I am not going to give it up. There are too many reasons to not give it up.

While I haven't summarized the past couple of days, I must weigh in now on three stories in the Indianapolis area, my hometown.

Justin Sheets, 22, is accused of treating his 3 1/2 month-old son like a ragdoll, swinging him around by one arm and his legs, slapping his face and genitals and then dropping him on his head. Medical reports show that the child also has healing fractures on his left arm, both forearms, both shins and a current broken right ankle. The baby is also underweight.

In a second case, a babysitter is being questioned about severe head injuries a 14-month-old suffered while in her care. Medical reports revealed that this child too showed evidence of previous brain injuries.

In a third case, two high school swim coaches face charges of child seduction. Seth Sexton, 23, and Matthew Brown, 27, face multiple felony counts of seducing girls. The victims were 16 and 17 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment