A Mission

Enough! For all the things that make our country great, there are some terrible truths that we must face... and soon. The -isms continue to weaken us. And something which should be our greatest source of pain and grief isn't even an -ism at all. It is child abuse.

Ten years ago my life changed when my own child clawed his way into this world. I know first-hand that parenting isn't easy. I also know first-hand that our children are truly voiceless, and until someone speaks up our nation will continue to accept child abuse as a sad consequence of stressed out, addicted, undereducated, or young parents. Throughout 2010 I will be tracking the child abuse stories across the country in this blog. Stand up! Become irate! Be silent no more!

Friday, January 8, 2010

So why do this?

As I talk with friends and tell them about my plan, they inevitably ask, "Why?" To tell you the truth, I don't really know why.

I've had the idea for a couple of years now. Originally it stemmed from my furor at the difficulty single people and gay couples have when they want to adopt a child. I wanted to show the world that these people are not a "risk" to the children of our country. Those at-risk live with parents who fundamentally don't want them or aren't prepared to parent.

However, as I geared up to really "get 'er done" in 2010, my goal has simplified to just telling the story and starting a conversation. How can we end child abuse? It's an impossible task; but that doesn't mean that it's not a task to be tackled.

No comments:

Post a Comment